Friday, June 6, 2008

A Cheap Meal

It is now two weeks into my vacation/study abroad trip and my wallet is starting to feel the strain of eating out all the time. I have decided to make a strong effort to cook for myself as much as I can. I do not consider myself a cook by any means. I know how to pour a bowl of cereal and toast a bagel -- that is about it. But when I saw how cheap the pasta is at the market I couldn't resist giving it a try. I bought a package of "Dallari Tagliatellina" for 1,30, a jar of Barilla Basilico tomato sauce for 1,48, a 5-pack of Mars bars for 2,45, and a 1.5 liter bottle of Coca-Cola for 0,99. That is enough ingredients for three meals and it cost 6,22 Euro altogether. That is a measly 2,07 per meal. Cheap! And the Mars bars weren't even necessary; it would have only been 1,25 per meal without them. The best part is that I surprised myself and was successful in cooking the spaghetti and it tasted delicious. I foresee myself eating a lot of spaghetti/Mars bar/Coke meals in the future.

No comments: